Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grandma Phene

We are quickly approaching my son's 3rd birthday which is so fun! At the same time I have started to realize it is a difficult time for me too. My grandma Phene passed away from her Earthly life last November (the day before my birthday) and entered her heavenly home. The last day that I got to have fun with her before her stroke was at Caeden's 2nd birthday party. So as his birthday has been approaching I have started getting really sad and missing my Grandma a lot! Isn't it funny how dates, occasions and life can trigger us in different ways? So as I am journeying through my emotions it was suggested that I take the time to write the reasons I am thankful for her and the relationship that we had. I share with you today....
I am thankful for....
* our long chats
* the words of wisdom she always had to impart
* our dates together
* the black and white way she saw so many things
* the love she showered on those she came in contact with - family, friends and strangers
* her ability to laugh and have fun with life
* her witty way with words (yes even her use of the word shit)
* her positive out look on situations and circumstances
* her love for new things... travel, restaurants, clothes, etc...
* the fact that she would sit in her prayer chair day in and day out talking to God about her concerns, hopes, fears, and dreams (for her own life and so many others)
* her heart was to see how she could bless others
* she was so devoted to her family
* she loved God, trusted in His plan (even when she didn't like it) and loved attending church
* I loved "her" smell (Oscar de la Rente) I still spray it in the air to remind myself of her presence in my life
* she always reminded me not to compare people~ everyone is unique and special, love them just the way they are.

It is said that we can become anything we want. I want her legacy to live on in me. I want people to still see the Grandma I've been so blessed by, even though she now lives with the Lord. May we all stop and take the time necessary to see who we've been, think about who we want to become, move towards that and be thankful for the people in our lives.
I love you Grandma Phene!! Thanks for helping to make me a better person, I am grateful for your life!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful K! You brought back so many wonderful memories and thoughts in my head. There is not a day I don't think about her either. She is greatly missed but like you said we were sooo blessed to know her. It is crazy how certain events trigger us I know celebrating my birthday without her was hard, and then setting up my house for fall and harvest. But you are right those are the times to try and reflect and enjoy. What a wonderful woman our granny! Love you.

Kels

anderson clan said...

Kirstin,
Beautifully said sweetie. You are one of Grandma's treasures. Her legacy already lives on in you. A few examples would be-your heart for God, love of family and friends, and the way your warmth lights up a room. This will be a bitter sweet season - fall has many fun occasions in it that Grandma enjoyed. It is difficult to think it is also the time she said good bye to all of us. I know we will all reflect on wonderful moments with mom/grandma.
Love, mom

Danice said...

Beautiful tribute to a grandma who touched you so deeply...God is good is giving us physical representations of HIS love for us in each other. May God bless you as you celebrate her life!

Lanie said...

Sometimes I reflect and think how lucky I am, blessed, that Josephine is my grandma. Then I see and feel that we all are so grateful. We just don't love our grandma because she was "grandma", we love Josephine, the amazing spirited woman she was inside. The fact that there is a part of all us grandchildren that look up to her so much and want to be like her is such a huge tribute to her and the way she lived life. She was an amazing example to all of us and that is what makes me smile. Remember your words at her celebration of life memorial- She would tell us to be STRONG! Make Miss Josephine smile down on you- be happy, be strong and love, love love. :) Love & hugs, Lanie